Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I've been Knitting (and Crocheting)!

Whenever I want to learn a new craft, I usually just research on the matter and try to self-study. This is how I learned how to sew and make props. But there's some that I can't really learn to do - knitting and crocheting. While I did 'learn' how to knit back in grade school, I never got the hang of it. My stitches are always too tight and I can't understand patterns. Knitting, meanwhile, has always fascinated me. Whenever I see someone on TV knitting, I'd say "WTF how did she make that scarf with two sticks?!"

Last PCC (Philippine Cosplay Convention), I met up with a fellow crafter Clair from CraftyCat. She patiently taught me basic crocheting and knitting over ice cream while chatting about random stuff about making and selling handmade stuff. It was fun meeting a fellow crafter!

While I initially wanted to learn crocheting so I can make amigurumis, I ended up getting a bit addicted on knitting. Maybe because they're easier to carry around - I knit on my way to work. Haha. :D Anyway, see my practice pieces after the jump!



My first practice piece. I decided to just knit and knit until I finish a ball of yarn and ended up with a piece that is (obviously) too short for a scarf and too long for a headband. By the way, I used Red Heart yarn.

Looks a bit ok.

I gained a bit of confidence after finishing my pink ball of yarn, so I decided to make a mini scarf for my friend's (future) BJD (Ball-jointed Doll):

Curly 'scarf' is curly. Epic fail.

Something went wrong with the second one. I think I wound the yarn the wrong way. XD

On to my third trial!


Success! For some reason, the multi-colored yarn from Red Heart has better texture compared to plain ones. Also, they're less fluffy.

Knitting was so addictive, I had to get a few balls of yarn to make a few more BJD scarves. I just finished working on the one below a few days ago, and I'm currently working on a white one.



Once I get the hang of knitting small scarves, I'll be working on human-sized scarves. :) Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. ^_^ Hi! I can't remember how I stumbled upon your blog. But I'd like to say that your work fascinates me! ♥ I crochet, knit and sew, too! Like you, I am a beginner in knitting. But I have managed to learn crochet and finished some nice pieces. I would love to meet you one day! Maybe we can share ideas and patterns or crochet/knit together! :))
    Good luck and hope to hear from you soon! ♥

    *U* btw, I'm a new follower... Hope you don't mind... :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm still learning though. I haven't done anything other than BJD scarves! Haha. :D

    Thanks for folowing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. MADZ OMG BAKIT I NEVER CATCH YOU ONLINE!!!!!! TIng told me about this blog and, OMG offline message me naman your number para we can meet up, i super duper miss you and teddy ber, ofcourse! And grabe, I've started crocheting too (i can make hats with bear ears!)but I can't knit to save my life so baka gusto mo ako turuan! hahaha see you soon please, while I'm here!

    ReplyDelete