Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I can has: Hecate's Staff!

Months ago, my friend Sayou asked me to cosplay Hecate for a supposed Shakugan no Shana group. Excited to have a new costume - and for the chance to use my blue wig and to make props again - I said yes. So I dug out my stock rubber sheet, looked for some decent reference pictures, and made Hecate's staff.

Here's Hecate with her staff:




And here's my version of the staff:

See my mistakes there, there, and there? LOL

There were different versions of the staff. I got confused between the staff's original designs and fanart so I opted for the slightly easier design. The entire staff head was made out of rubber sheets, a meter of wire, and tons of glue. Like my Sakura Star Staff, this is removable from the staff for easy transport.

I learned a few things while making this staff. One, Pearl Gold spray paint looks better than Duchess Gold. I like Pearl Gold better because its about two shades lighter, and looks better on photos. I used to have a can of Pearl Gold which I used for my Princess Emeraude chest plate. When I went out to buy another can for the staff, they were out of stock so I had to settle for Duchess Gold. Mental Note: get a can of Pearl Gold ASAP.

Two: Get a grip with the glue! I use Greco glue for all my rubber sheet projects - its perfect! For this project, I overused the glue a bit, hence the shiny drips all over the staff head. 

Clickie!



Three: Hang wet projects instead of leaving them on your work area - in my case, a bunch of newspapers. Some of the ringlets/triangle things (IDK what to call them!) got some newspaper text 'printed' on them and I couldn't remove them!

And Four: Do not use enamel paint when you need your things the next day. Out of bad habit, I usually make my props two days before the event. For this one, I cut my sheets a few days before the event, and got to painting them the night before the event. I was out of white spray paint, so I had to use a can of 'quick dry' enamel for the staff. I had to cover the staff with white fabric just to be able to actually use it. Ugh.

Phew. That was long. Anyway, here are some photos of me in my Hecate costume:


Ohoho, I used Christmas balls for my headgear.


By my beloved Sayou-sama


Taken by Kuya Syl (sorry Kuya, I don't know your page)


With my BB Leny. Taken by Meems-sama


Long post is long. XD Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment